As a pet owner, most pet parents ask, Why do Dogs Eat Dirt? However, it is the most common behavior in dogs. Suppose your canine eats the dirt that can lead to the disease, such as nutritional, behavioral, and genetic.
And the reason behind eating the soil can be stress or boredom because it can lead your canine to eat these types of things, including dirt. Here know that Can a dog eat cake? Moreover, if your canine start to eat the dirt, then these signs show that such as;
- Low-quality food
- Upset stomach
- Gastrointestinal disturbance
- Nutritional imbalance
Anemia in dogs can mark low red blood cells or hemoglobin. So it can cause diseases like hookworms, tick disease, cancer, flea infestation, or bleeding disorder. Further, it is a severe condition that needs treatment, and you can diagnose it through blood tests.
When your beloved friend eats dirt, the essential material your puppy gets is not enough for their excellent health. Further, before giving the food, we talk to our vet, which helps us choose the best dog food.
Upset stomach or Gastrointestinal disturbance:
If you see that your fur baby shows signs of an upset stomach or gastrointestinal disturbance, it means that your canine has the tummy issue, and it is caused due to eating the grass that mixes with some dirt. Rabies In Dogs Can be dangerous diseases?
Symptoms of Gastrointestinal obstruction:
The symptoms of the gastrointestinal disturbance are:
- Abdominal pain
- Reduce the appetite
The dangers of dogs eating the dirt:
Dogs eating a speck of dirt can cause several health issues, and many risks can be associated with this, such as;
- Ingestion of soil parasites
- Consumption of chemicals like pesticides or other toxins
- Impact on dog’s intestine
- Damage to the canine teeth, throat, digestive tract
What to do if your dog is eating the dirt:
Remember that if your canine eats the dirt rarely, it doesn’t hurt your dog, but If dogs eat the drugs suddenly, it can cause a health problem, so immediately call your vet. Call your vet if you see these signs in your pet:
- Signs of anemia
- Decrease appetite
- In 24 hours, vomiting the multiple times
- Irregular bowel movements
How to prevent dogs from eating dirt:
Here are different strategies that you can apply to your canine to stop them from feeding the dirt like that:
- When you go from outside the house, leash your dog away from the soil area. Extreme Dog Fence keeps the canine safe without pulling the leash.
- Remove the indoor plants or place them from your canine reach.
- To reduce your dog’s stress or boredom, do some physical activities that help to relieve their stress.
- Remember that you create a distraction when your pet eats the dirt.